Thursday, February 21, 2008

Vegetarian food

I am nervous about whether or not the don't ask don't tell policy will go into full affect in Turkey regarding my vegetarianism. I am a strict vegetarian. I eat no flesh, but I do eat eggs and dairy. What will I eat? Will I have to eat at least a little seafood or chicken to get by? Ew.

When I travel on a budget, I usually eat only one meal out. Breakfast and lunch consists of something from the grocery store or market. I am perfectly happy going to a park and eating a picinic of bread and cheese, fruit and water. Hopefully I can do this in Istanbul.

I decided to do some research on the subject. Here's what I found:
Badehane (Bade's House) in the Beyoglu area
Bade runs her restaurant the same way as she runs her house: it's always open, everyone is welcome and there's always divine food on the table. Dine on sumptuous grilled eggplant stuffed with vegetables, soya meat and garlic, delicious fried vegetable patties and a delectable selection of mushroom and chicken dishes; the crispy summer salads are excellent and the chef's special (for either lunch or dinner) is also recommended. A further range of rather adventurous, exotic culinary experiments also grace the crockery. Try to visit on a Sunday when a guest chef cooks specials for a full house. This is a cheap and cheerful place to eat.

Parsifal also in the Beyoglu area
Parsifal has been keeping Istanbul's bourgeoisie well fed for the last three years with such delicacies as leek and soya burgers, spinach pie and broccoli au gratin. Helped along with a little French influence in the decor and design, this place is very popular with the locals. It fills up quickly most nights, although you'll rarely need to make a reservation. However, if you have to wait a few minutes for a table then it must be good, right? Try the mushroom soup and check the blackboard for the daily special. The best dessert in the house is Banana Crêpes.

Nature and Peace also in the Beyoglu area
Bunches of dried herbs and vegetables dotted around the walls make this long oblong room reminiscent of a warm and cozy country kitchen. Make sure you check out the blackboard specials before looking at the menu as it's often cheaper to order the daily special - consisting of soup, salad and a main meal - than to order everything separately. Green lentil patties, the NP house salad, and falafel should all be on the hit list of things to try. The cheesecake is definitely the best you'll find in Istanbul, and the pumpkin pie is also good in season.

Hercai in Kadikoy area
Hercai occupies the whole of a gorgeous nineteenth-century three-storey house. Admire original cinema posters from socially conscious films of the past (such as Land and Freedom by Ken Loach, Before the Rain, Children of the Revolution and Protest) while you munch on delicious Imambayildi (literally meaning 'the imam loved it') - a dish made from aubergines cooked gently in olive oil and served cold. The Manti (Turkish ravioli) and spinach quiche are good here too. This place is good value for money, with great service and a peaceful atmosphere - you won't regret your forage into the delightful back streets of Kadiköy!

La Calle in Beyoglu area
Tucked away in the cobbled backstreets of bohemian Tünel, this tiny restaurant is run by the fun young crowd for the fun young crowd. It is located in an area teeming with eccentric local artists and wannabe intellectuals, and is popular for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tiny red tables are set up outside in the street during the summer. The menu changes regularly. Perusing it you will find a few well-prepared vegetarian dishes freshly made each day. There are also vegetable soups, cold and hot vegetable starters and mains and divine hot chocolate brownieS for dessert. The emphasis here is on fresh and nutritious food.

---I found these on Yahoo! Travel. I didn't realize Yahoo! has such a good travel site. I was able to create a "trip" called Istanbul so that I can add these restaurants to it. I found them by searching for "vegetarian restaurants Istanbul." I love the Web.

My concern with the five restaurants above is that they are probably not authentic Turkish. Most likely more that fancy fusion stuff for upper class. Of course price is an issue too. I don't know how recent the information is, but it looks like Hercai and La Calle are the cheapest.

I still need to do more research on buying food in markets and at stores. More to come on food! I am hungry...off to lunch!

1 comment:

abking said...

These sound really good but no cheesecake or pumpkin pie for me please ;) That's globalization for ya...