Saturday, April 5, 2008

I did it! I bought a costume

OK, after thinking about it for a couple of days, I decided to buy a costume. I love it, I really do. I didn't get as good of a price as I would've the first day, but all in all it ended up costing me $240. I forgot to get a skirt with it...It was supposed to be included, but I completely forgot. Luckily, there are places that sell really cheap skirts here...about $15.

Tonight was the night of bad luck. So Adam and I went to town ; we got dropped off at Sultanhamet and it was prayer time so we couldn't go into the Blue Mosque. Then, we tried to go to Hagia Sophia, a church turned mosque turned museum. We couldn't find the entrance so we walked all the way around it only to find it closed!

Est puis (Adam is watching French TV), we walked to the Grand Bazaar to show Adam and get the belly dance costume. It was much better with him, people don't bug me as much. Then we walked to the restaurant Hamdi, which is near the New Mosque. We wanted to eat up at the third floor where the terrace is, but it was full. So we went to the 2nd floor and it was so smoky, we couldn't stand it. Finally we ended up at the 1st floor. That was better, but still a little smoky. The restaurant was packed. Dinner was ok, but of course, the only thing I could eat was appetizer or a pizza.

Then we walked around the square and got TOTALLY ripped off. I am so irritated. So this shoe shiner drops his brush in front of us, so I pick it up for him...then he makes this big deal about giving me a shoe shine at no charge for being so nice. Adam gives him a five because he's nice and then the guy goes on and on about his children at home that he needs to feed. Then he says it's not 5 lira, but 8. I said that he told me no charge and he was like, no but I have kids. I fished around in my purse and gave him some change. Ugh! He had the whole thing planned. I mean every tourist gets the ripped off at least once on their trip, but its just so frustrating that people try to rip you off at every turn. I really hope he has a family to feed.

So Adam is not a fan of the city and I am not that into it. I mean parts of it are great...when you are not being hassled. The architecture is great and there are some fun things to do. My day yesterday on Istiklal Cadessi and the Hamam were great because I got left alone for the most part. But how can you enjoy yourself when you are being hounded and the pollution and cigarette smells are so bad? I know Adam is not a fan...

Anyway there is still much to be done...Topkai Palace, the Suleyman mosque and a Bosphorous cruise, hopefully we'll like it better after all that.

3 comments:

kfazekas said...

I JUST READ ALL OF YOUR TRAVEL POSTS AND I AM REMINDED OF THE INCREDIBLE PLEASURES AND FRUSTRATIONS OF FINDING YOUR WAY AROUND A NEW COUNTRY AND CULTURE...ALL WELL WORTH THE EXPERIENCE. I FIND THE PICS HELPFUL AND INFORMATIVE AND LOOK FORWARD TO MORE ON THE ALBUM. GIVE ADAM OUR GREETINGS AND WE HOPE ALL CONTINUES TO GO WELL. DID YOU KNOW THAT MY AUNT BABE AND UNCLE BOB HAVE A SCHOOL BUILDING NAMED AFTER UNCLED BOB'S FATHER IN TURKEY?(I THINK IN TARSUS). HIS PARENTS WERE MISSIONARIES THERE SO HE WAS RAISED THERE. LOVE, K

kfazekas said...

I JUST READ ALL OF YOUR TRAVEL POSTS AND I AM REMINDED OF THE INCREDIBLE PLEASURES AND FRUSTRATIONS OF FINDING YOUR WAY AROUND A NEW COUNTRY AND CULTURE...ALL WELL WORTH THE EXPERIENCE. I FIND THE PICS HELPFUL AND INFORMATIVE AND LOOK FORWARD TO MORE ON THE ALBUM. GIVE ADAM OUR GREETINGS AND WE HOPE ALL CONTINUES TO GO WELL. DID YOU KNOW THAT MY AUNT BABE AND UNCLE BOB HAVE A SCHOOL BUILDING NAMED AFTER UNCLED BOB'S FATHER IN TURKEY?(I THINK IN TARSUS). HIS PARENTS WERE MISSIONARIES THERE SO HE WAS RAISED THERE. LOVE, K

Amara said...

very cool...can't wait to see your new cossie on!!