Monday, April 7, 2008

My journey home begins...

So we're leaving soon...it's nice to travel but it's also nice to come home. We've had a busy couple of days. I hope to report on most of it, but I am not sure if I can tonight. I'll try to do it as soon as I get home so that the memories are still fresh in my mind.

Our wake up call is at 2:30 and our shuttle leaves at 3:00...that's the AM folks. Adam's flight leaves at 5:35 and mine is at 6:35. UGH. I hope to sleep on the plane this time around.

Here's a quick run down of Yesterday:
We checked out of the hotel and walked around Sultanhamet, saw the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia. Hagia Sophia was nice but they are doing renovation, so half of the dome was covered in scaffolding. Next we had lunch...it was raining and it was really annoying. Then, we went to Topkapi Palace. It was nice...and huge. We were frustrated because we couldn't buy tickets to the harem (the best part) because they closed the credit card machine and we didn't have any cash. Ok, so at this point it is raining and we're tired and grumpy.

We walked back to the hotel and rested until a shuttle came to pick us up for the belly dance show. It was at the Galata Tower which is a huge tower originally used as a lighthouse, then a prison, then something else, and now it is home to a cheesy touristy Turkish night show. There was a Sultan, live musicians Turkish dancers, belly dancers and a lounge singer. The first belly dancer wasn't very good. She looked sooooo bored and her technique was terrible. The other belly dancer was much better. I'll post pictures soon.

The lounge singer called the "Showman" was funny. He pulled me up on stage and had me dance up there with other ladies from different countries, then he made Adam come up and we danced in front of everyone! HA! It was hilarious.

The food was terrible, but the views were spectacular. It was so expensive too, but it was our big night out together so we had fun. The shuttle was crazy though...another roller coaster ride on the streets of Istanbul...

Well, my suitcase is packed to the brim with my Turkish goodies. I will write more later. It's 9:45 PM here so we have 5 hours until we have to leave!

No comments: